Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A glimpse at Meditation


So, recently I've been reading Eat Pray Love. (I know, I know, its taking me awhile to read!) Anyways, Elizabeth Gilbert, the girl who travels to Italy, India, and Indonesia to find herself, is currently in India, at a meditation ashram. It got me thinking that maybe I should give meditation a try.

Om Nahmah Shivaya means "I honor the divinity that resides within me." It is a common chant, people say during meditation.
Meditation does not belong to any culture or religion. It can be a way to connect your mind's thoughts to your body's actions. I once heard that prayer is an act of talking to God as, meditation is the act of listening.

I haven't entirely figured it out yet. All I know is, it is HARD.

Here's an example of Danielle trying to meditate.
.

Danielle: Alright thoughts, go away. I cannot worry about you now. We are going to meditate.

Mind: Ok you are clear of all thoughts. You are a little thirsty, though.

Danielle: No I am not thirsty. We are sitting here for 8 minutes. I can get water after. Let's imagine a serene place filled with relaxation and purity.

Mind: We could pause meditation for .2 seconds so you could get water and then come back to that pure place.  Is there a boat at this place? I love boats.

Danielle: Ahh!! Stop it. Stop thinking. Stop. Stop. Stop. I'm gonna do this. I'm pushing all of my thoughts away. I am focused on nothing.

Mind: Ok, lets do this. I beleive in you.

Danielle: God, please guide me through this. I am listening. I am focused. I am ready.

Mind: What time is it?

Danielle: Ahhhh!! Seriously? OPERATION ABORTED. I'm going to get some water.

Approximately two minutes went by. I don't know how people do it! My mind about drove me half insane for those two minutes. It felt more like hours. I couldn't even sit still. I am determined to succeed so, don't worry, I will be trying again.

Happy Tuesday!!
Dani G.

No comments:

Post a Comment